Date first appointed: 13/10/2011
Date of last election: 30/5/2019
Chairman from 13/10/2011
Attendance at board meetings in FY19/20: 4/4
Key directorships and appointments in other charities / organisations for FY19/20 annual report:
• Chairman, Thye Hua Kwan Moral Society (THKMS) and Ang Mo Kio-Thye Hua Kwan Hospital
• Board Member, THK Nursing Home
• Currently member of several prominent committees, including Ministry of Community, Culture and Youth, Inter-Religious Harmony Circle (IRHC); MSF, Responsible Gambling Forum; Enterprise Singapore, Spring Standards Council Silver Industry Standards Committee (SISC) (2014); Singhealth Regional Health
System (RHS) Community Partnership Council (CPC); and Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) Board of Trustees
Lee Kim Siang is the present Chairman for Thye Hua Kwan Group of Charities that includes Thye Hua Kwan Moral Society (THKMS), Thye Hua Kwan Moral Charities (THKMC), Ang Mo Kio-Thye Hua Kwan Hospital (AMK-Thye Hua Kwan Hospital), and THK Nursing Home.
A firm advocate for the underserved, under Kim Siang’ stewardship, Thye Hua Kwan was commended by the late President of the Republic of Singapore, S. R. Nathan, as one of the leading social service organisations during the 2003 severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreak in Singapore. THK, its staff and volunteers were at the forefront of the fight against SARS by offering social services which included counselling and free meals to quarantined families.
A notable charity and community leader, Kim Siang is active and has served on various government board and committees. From 2012 to 2014, he was a Councillor with the North East Community Development Council (CDC) and a Board Member of the National Council of Social Services (NCSS). For his expert knowledge in corporate governance and management, Kim Siang was Chairman and/or Member of several ministries and organisations including:
• Ministry of Community Development and Sports Eldercare Industry Skills Standards Committee (ISSC);
• Ministry of Community Development and Sports Resource Panel in support of SMART.ID (Special Management & Resource Team for Intellectually Disabled Offenders);
• Community Care Services (Telok Blangah) – Tanjong Pagar CDC;
• Ministry of Home Affairs, Rehabilitation Sub-Committee and also a member of Advisory Committee on Drug Abuse;
• Singapore Workforce Development Agency, Community and Social Services (CSS), Industry Manpower, Skills and Training Council (MSTC); and
• Ministry of Social and Family Development. Enabling Masterplan, Steering Committee;
• Ministry of Health, City for all Ages Advisory Committee;
• Comcare Supervisory Committee, Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS);
• Inter-Racial Confidence Circle (IRCC) Siglap Citizens’ Consultative Committee
• Ministry of Health, National Geriatric Co-ordinating Committee (NGCC)
• NCSS and Ministry of Community Development and Sports, President’s Social Service Award 2002 Panel of Judges;
Kim Siang is a current and longstanding member of several prominent committees, including:
• Ministry of Community, Culture and Youth, Inter-Religious Harmony Circle (IRHC)
• MSF, Responsible Gambling Forum
• Enterprise Singapore, Spring Standards Council Silver Industry Standards Committee (SISC) (2014)
• Singhealth Regional Health System (RHS) Community Partnership Council (CPC)
• Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) Board of Trustees
For his outstanding public service and contributions to the social service sector, Kim Siang was a recipient of the 2010 National Day Awards Bintang Bakti Masyarakat (Public Service Star) (BBM (L).
As Chairman for THK Group of Charities, Kim Siang has pushed for the recognition of social service staff and help professionalise community-based services in the social, health, emotional, education, family and disability sectors.
Ascribing to Thye Hua Kwan’s creed, Kim Siang is passionately involved in securing resources to ensure the sustainability of the social service sector. He readily avails suitable THK’s assistance to anyone who needs help while respecting each person’s race, colour, creed, language, culture and religion.
In his professional capacity, Kim Siang was a notable Advocate and Solicitor, having practiced for over 50 years. He graduated from the then University of Singapore with an LLB (Hons) in 1966.